Spearfishing 101 Workshop - Sunshine Coast, BC
Time & Location
About The Event
Spearfishing 101 Workshop - Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
Please note that dates and times are subject to change due to pool closures or other unforeseen events. A full refund will be guaranteed re-scheduling is done by Sea to Sky Freediving. Please read our terms and conditions below for more information.
PLEASE READ (1) to (8) below. It's a lot to read I know, but there's plenty of info for you!
1) Workshop DESCRIPTION:
Spearfishing is the sustainable way to gather one's own seafood and connect with the underwater world. Spearfishing can be a safe activity if properly learned and practiced. The first step is to become a competent and safe freediver. Knowing how to hold your breath, manage yourself underwater and identify risks is crucial in spearfishing.
What's included in the workshop:
Out of the water:
- Molchanovs Base Training access to review online freediving theory, techniques and skills in freediving
- Lifetime access to Molchanovs Online Platform
- Pre-expedition online thoery review for safety, physiology, equalization and planning with instructor
- Study the correct fish species and environments for fishing
- Understand how to use DFO maps, and navigate fishing by-laws and restrictions
- Learn how to gut, clean, prep your fish and store your catch
- Learn about spearfishing equipment and gear we use
- Gain the knowledge how to sustainably and safely catch your own food!
- General freediving and spearfishing is NOT included in this workshop (See Section 5 Below)
In the water:
- Practice in water with professional safety and guidance by Luca Malaguti
- Learn basic diving techniques and equalization
- Learn about buoyancy control and gear management
- Intro on how to use a pole spear and a speargun
- Small group size (maximum of 4 people)
- All-day adventure out in the water spearfishing!
- Luca Malaguti is a AIDA International and Molchanovs freediving and spearfishing instructor. Currently one of the deepest Canadian men, Luca has experience in deep competition freediving, safety training, coaching and spearfishing. Luca regularly dives to 70 meters (230 feet) on one breath and can stay at 50 meters (165 feet) for 1 minute. Visit Luca's social media profile here.
*Please note times are subject to change based on weather and conditions.
2) Workshop PRICING:
- Workshop Cost: 349 $CAD + applicable taxes per person (Includes Molchanovs Online Program Access)
- Course Payment: Due to limited spaces, we are asking for full payment upon event reservation.
- Please note accommodation and individual gear are not included in the package price.
- Cancellation and Refund Policy: Please see below.
Day 1 (Online): Online theory review, Q & A session, Molchanovs Dashboard use & intro to Base Training
- Where & When: Online via Zoom Call the evening before we meet.
Day 2 (In Water): Spearfishing Workshop 101
- Where: Meet at Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal, West Vancouver, BC
- When: 7:00AM on June 24, 2021 (Ready for a full day!)
- Ferry Info: Deprating on the 7:30AM ferry from Horseshoe Bay, BC (Click here)
- Able to swim 200 meters non-stop & comfortable in an open water setting
- Have a basic knowledge, certificate and experience in freediving/breath-holding
- Must be 18 years old (16 years old with parent/guardian consent)
- Signed medical statement and liability forms
- Signed COVID-19 liability and waiver form.
- Signed assumption of risk and liability form for spearfishing activities
5) EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
1. It is the student's responsibility to purchase or rent the equipment needed for the workshop.
2. We highly suggest purchasing your own gear. It's an investment worth making in freediving.
- Freediving/spearfishing specific wetsuit, two-piece (5mm to 7mm thickness recommend) with hood
- Neoprene gloves and booties (make sure booties fit with fins)
- Fins (freediving fins) with closed-heel
- Rubber/nylon weight-belt and weights
- Mask and snorkel
- A small diving knife is recommended
- An underwater light is a good additional tool
- Warm clothes, change of clothes, towels and footwear
- Warm beverages, snacks, energy bars in between diving
Buy your gear:
- Visit the Freedive Wire Shop for an excellent selection of freediving equipment: https://shop.freedivewire.com/
- Diving Sports (1449 Prairie Ave #4, Port Coquitlam, BC V3B 1S9, Canada) | 604-472-9803 | Speak to Achraf for a full freediving kit and 10% OFF ANY RENTAL WITH PROMO CODE: "SEATOSKYFREEDIVERS"
6) PRO TIPS & TRICKS:
- Try not to eat 2-3 hours before any freediving session (i.e. static, dynamic or open water)
- Do some light stretching or yoga at home before coming to a session
- Wear a sweater, wool hat, gloves and socks (yes, even during summer time in Canada)
- Bring extra warm/dry clothes and extra warm beverages, snacks and light food
- Bring a yoga mat or any other equipment related to stretching, breathwork or meditation
- Ginger Tea is an excellent way to stay warm beforehand, read why here
7) SPECIALS & PERKS:
- Course participants receive 10% off Oceaner Freediving custom made wetsuit (hand-made in Burnaby, British Columbia)
- Course participants receive 10% off Alchemy Carbon Fins (hand-made in Athens, Greece)
- Course participants receive 10% off selected Freedive Wire Shop equipment
8) PAYMENT DETAILS & CANCELLATION POLICY:
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions and limit spaces, we are asking for full payment upon event reservation.
- No worries, we have a great cancellation policy. Please see below.
ii. Payment Options:
- Secure credit card transactions protected by Wix Bookings and Stripe.
- Canadian clients ONLY can e-transfer to email@example.com. Please contact us for this option.
- PayPal transfers also available to non-Canadians (5% additional transfer fee).
iii. Cancellation Policy:
- Full refund of PAYMENT 30 days BEFORE start date of event.
- Full refund or credit issued if event is cancelled by Sea to Sky Freediving due to unforeseeable circumstances.
- No refund of PAYMENT 30 days or less BEFORE start date of event.
- Sold OutSpearfishing Workshop BC$349+$41.88 GST/PST$349+$41.88 GST/PST0$0